Responsible for the Origination of Residential and Consumer loans from various delivery channels while adhering to State, Federal Credit Union, and Secondary Market Guidelines. This position requires an ability to communicate effectively with prospective and current members and to represent Liberty Bay Credit Union in a positive and professional manner. Concentration in Business Development and cross-selling Credit Union products and services is required. The Mortgage Loan Officer will apply industry knowledge and sales strengths to find clients, generate leads and convert those opportunities to loans. The MLO will develop long-term relationships with members and referral partners.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
The Mortgage Loan Officer serves as the direct point of contact with the borrower throughout the origination process through closing. The role is critical in creating a positive member experience and closing the “sale” of LBCU mortgage products. The Mortgage Loan Officer is the key sales role in the Mortgage Department.
The position responsibilities include the following, other duties may be assigned.
- Creates relationship with the borrower as a trusted advisor. Contact the borrower after application, thank them for choosing LBCU, identify their needs, advise as to the most appropriate options.
- Performs a loan interview via telephone, online, or face-to-face while adhering to all Federal, State, Secondary Market, and Credit Union guidelines.
- Cross-sells and promotes Liberty Bay’s products and services.
- Ability to analyze credit reports and assist members with basic credit issues.
- Ability to analyze income, asset statements, and self-employed borrowers.
- Work with First Time Homebuyers to educate and counsel through the buying process. Participation in Non-Profit FTHB classes may be required. Communicates with borrowers before and after closing to ease first-time borrower anxiety and congratulate them on homeownership. Solicit referrals from borrowers’ personal circle.
- Generates a complete and accurate loan package to present for processing in a timely manner.
- Works with processing and underwriting to obtain the documentation required for loan approval. Anticipates underwriting questions for unusual scenarios and proactively request supporting documentation. Recommends counter-offers to facilitate loan approval. Coordinates with the processor to expedite conditions. Respond to all member inquiries regarding the processing of their application. Monitors processor email communication with a borrower for professionalism; provides feedback to Residential Manager for coaching/training.
- Identifies borrower concerns, anticipate escalations, notify appropriate members of management to review for exceptions
- Serve as “personal banker” for commercial lending referrals.
- Maintain up-to-date and comprehensive knowledge on all related policies, procedures, and rules and regulations, including State, Federal, Secondary Market, and Credit Union guidelines.
- Generates referral business through outside sales and develops a referral network with existing and past members, Attorneys, accountants, and local real estate professionals.
- Represents the Credit Union at various community and civic events to enhance the Credit Union’s image and support the Credit Union’s commitment to the communities it serves.
- Must be able to comply with the S.A.F.E. Mortgage Licensing Act of 2008 and all related regulations. Ongoing employment with Liberty Bay Credit Union is contingent upon meeting all such requirements, including acceptable background investigation results. The S.A.F.E. registration with the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS) is required at the time of employment. The NMLS website (mortgage.nationwidelicensingsystem.org) provides the questions and registration required for employment in this position
- Complete all required Bank Secrecy Act-related training annually and maintain knowledge of current BSA policies, specifically those related to functions performed within the department and identifying and reporting possible suspicious activity.
- The Mortgage Loan Officer is additionally responsible for operational portions of the sale.
- Daily pipeline management with a focus on meeting rate lock expirations, mortgage commitments, department turn-time, and communication standards.
- Knowledge of LBCU mortgage products. Ability to analyze members’ needs and create appropriate loan programs.
- Accountability for obtaining a signed rate lock form from the member.
- Notify the Residential Manager of any member requests to relock. Collection of application and rate lock fees.
- Accurately determine members’ requests to escrow monthly taxes, review payment methods with members prior to loan closing.
- Communicate weekly with members throughout the loan process, keeping them informed of their loan status.
- Document loan file with all written and verbal correspondence communicated to and from members.
- Knowledge of Freddie Mac underwriting requirements. Loan Officers are responsible for keeping up with changes in LBCU underwriting policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Equal Credit Opportunities Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, Regulation Z, Truth In Lending, and other State and Federal laws that may be applicable
- Proficient in computer skills, word, excel. Experience with FICS and Loan prospectors is a plus.
- Ability to multi-task, strong attention to detail, and good organizational skills
- Ability to work independently while contributing to a team effort.
- Proactively advise the Residential Mortgage Manager of any member service issues.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 4 – 6 years of residential mortgage lending experience is required.
- Full knowledge of current regulatory requirements is required. Good understanding of financial institution products and services.
- Excellent computer skills and ability to self-monitor while maintaining excellent productivity.
- A high level of interpersonal skills in providing superior customer service to new and existing members.
- A self-starter; meticulous attention to detail.
- Must be able to work well in a fast-paced environment.
- This opportunity is for seasoned loan officers that have a proven source of business. Self-generated business is required.
- Base pay $25,000-$35,000 + Commission
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POSITION:
- This position is customarily and regularly engaged away from the employer’s place or places of business in performing their primary duty.
- Frequent travel within Eastern Massachusetts
The above information has been created to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
If you are interested in applying, please email a copy of your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org