Under the direction of the Senior Mortgage Underwriter, responsible for the timely processing and underwriting of consumer and residential mortgage loan applications. Provide guidance to the Credit Union’s members, MLO’s and employees as to the technical aspects of mortgage lending. Approve loans within designated authority. Make recommendations for approval or denial of loans above authority.
Department: Mortgage Department
Essential Functions of the Position
- Works with the Mortgage Originators and the processors to acquire all needed information, and explain rates, terms, obligations, etc. Responsible for underwriting 1st and 2nd mortgages in accordance with portfolio, FHLMC, FHA, FHLB, and VA guidelines as well as overseeing the processing of residential mortgage loans.
- Supports processor/closer in the review of loan files, ensuring that all necessary exhibits and documentation are included and in proper sequence, requesting additional documentation, at his/her discretion, to strengthen the file.
- Conducts credit analysis relative to home loan applicants, verifying borrower’s credit and employment history. Reviews appraiser’s report on the property described in the loan application, evaluating construction design, sales price, etc. Must be able to judge the sale price as compared to current market value and assess future marketability.
- May be required to originate applications in times of high volume or in the absence of the Mortgage Originator.
- Responsible for staying abreast and maintaining compliance with regulatory developments as they affect mortgage lending, particularly in the areas of Fair Lending, HMDA, CRA, RESPA, Reg B, Environmental, and other related regulations.
- Approves mortgage loans within their authority.
- Ensure commitment letters are sent to approved applicants.
- Review applications with Private Mortgage Insurance Companies to ensure coverage on all applicable loans.
- Performs quality control checks of all closed loans to ensure compliance with all regulations, policies, and secondary market guidelines.
- Must be able to work effectively with all types of situations, including marketing, negotiations, and interpretation. Maintain relationships with secondary markets, service vendors, and other Credit Union Departments to ensure the smooth operation of the Credit Union’s lending function.
- Must ensure compliance with government mortgage regulations. Must ensure high-quality member service in the turnaround of mortgage applications. Errors in underwriting applications could result in loan loss, an embarrassment to the bank, the loss of important accounts, or other unprofitable loan practices. Has regular exposure to confidential member and credit union information. Prepare reports that are presented to Senior Management, the Board of Investment, Bank Regulators, Secondary Market Investors, and others.
- A high school diploma plus the equivalent of two years of college.
- Two to five years of experience in mortgage lending are required to become an expert in loan processing and underwriting.
- Requires thorough knowledge of credit union and secondary market underwriting requirements as well as knowledge of general credit union operations and systems.
- Requires knowledge of FHLMC, FHA, FHLB, and VA guidelines.
- Must have a solid understanding of regulatory requirements including HMDA, Fair Lending, Reg B. and CRA.
- Must have the ability to perform appraisal analysis, financial analysis, and credit analysis.
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must have solid computer skills including the use of operating systems and PCs.
- This job operates in a professional climate-controlled office environment. The role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and photocopiers.
- The majority of this role can be performed remotely.
- The employee will need to be able to move around the office, lift files, open filing cabinets, and move items weighing less than 15lbs
- Average, ordinary visual acuity necessary to prepare or inspect documents or products, or operate machinery.
- Sedentary work; sitting most of the time.
To apply for this opportunity, please email your resume to Maria DiBenedetto at firstname.lastname@example.org.